About Dodd City, Texas
Dodd City is a small town in Fannin County located on Highway 56, roughly five miles east of Bonham (the county seat).
Beginning as an unincorporated area of pioneer settlers in the late 1830s when Texas was an independent country (the Republic of Texas), the city grew in the following decades. By the time the Texas & Pacific Railroad rolled through in 1873, residents decided that their settlement should be called Dodd City in honor of its earliest settlers, Major Edmund Hall Dodd and his wife, Elizabeth, who moved here from Kentucky. Page 520 of Book D of the County Commissioners’ minutes notes that Dodd City became an official incorporated city on August 9, 1879 when the citizens voted 37 to 2 in favor of incorporation.
Dodd City today numbers roughly 390 citizens and is home to the Dodd City Independent School District and a few small businesses. Moreover, it is located roughly 6 miles south of the newest reservoir to be built in Texas in thirty years, Bois d’ Arc Lake.